Monday, 11 January 2010

"I am human and I need to be loved"

Personally, I was more than happy to have Rage Against The Machine (amongst my favourite bands as a teenager) as number one this Christmas aided by the Twitter and Facebook campaign to ensure Simon Cowell's X-Factor wouldn't conqueror the music charts for the Christmas week.

What was less than favourable was the amount of Facebook requests asking to join groups "Make Rage Against The Machine Christmas No 1" ALL after RATM had nabbed the top spot in the UK charts, talk about jumping on bandwagons. 

My love/hate relationship with Facebook continues...

That said, I have a campaign to champion. It too is about music and relatively unimportant in the greater scheme of things but still.

"To celebrate the 25th Anniversary of Meat is Murder, let's make The Smiths' How Soon is Now? No 1 in the UK charts" (I'm wondering if it's catchy enough...)

Should you need any help making up your mind, here are the (in my view) enticing lyrics courtesy of The Smiths/Morrissey (also both teenage favourites):

I am the son
and the heir
of a shyness that is criminally vulgar
I am the son and heir
of nothing in particular

You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does

I am the son
and the heir
of a shyness that is criminally vulgar
I am the son and the heir
of nothing in particular

You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does

There's a club if you'd like to go
you could meet somebody who really loves you
so you go, and you stand on your own
and you leave on your own
and you go home, and you cry
and you want to die

When you say it's gonna happen "now"
well, when exactly do you mean?
see I've already waited too long
and all my hope is gone

You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does


It's not often you will hea
r these words from me, so take heed: join the facebook group.



3 comments:

  1. "One can have great concern for the people of Ethiopia, but it's another thing to inflict daily torture on the people of England."

    A quote from Morrissey talking about Band Aid. This is just one reason why I find the guy one of the biggest tools walking the planet today.

    RATM was a worthy cause. The Smiths? I won't be jump on that one in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a Smiths fan and Morrissey is a twat. Having said that Johnny Marr is a great guitarist and How Soon is Now is a fantastic song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't have you down as a Smiths fan. Personally I'd prefer The Headmaster Ritual off that album...BELLIGERENT GHOULS RUN MAN CHES TER SCHOOLS.....SPINELESS SWINES, CEMENTED MINDS. Great campaign, though.

    ReplyDelete