Friday, 18 December 2009

Muted

After all the well intended promises from Quiet boy, I gave him (in my head) until my birthday, so when that day passed nearly unnoticed, I wasn't hurt, I wasn't upset. I was proud of myself for being able to put behind our fragmented past and give him the benefit of the doubt.
As I had also thought he didn't have the emotional capabilities needed to sustain a relationship however casual, I parked my feelings, at least curbing any happy-ever-after fantasies. This might sound like I was setting him up for a fall, but I wasn't. I was giving him the chance I would want, should the roles have been reversed.
I received a message a couple of days after my birthday apologising for not sending a card but "the thought hadn't occurred to him until that day".
We saw each other last week and I received one half of my birthday present from him, it was amazing. I can be difficult to buy for, unless you actually listen to me. His present was perfect.
And that made me sad. But also glad that I gave him that chance, even though it didn't work out.

2 comments:

  1. Come on, what was the pressie?? Nice post.
    http://plentymorefishoutofwater.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete