Wednesday, 2 December 2009

Baseball vs. Relationships

I'm very interested in and intrigued by human nature.
I have close male and female friends that I discuss relationships in detail with, on the whole I am fascinated with sex and relationships.
There is a scene in the film City Slickers that always makes me smile:
Phil: So, do you hate baseball?
Bonnie: No, I like baseball. I just never understood how you guys could spend so much time discussing it. I mean, I've been to games, but I don't memorize who played third base for
Pittsburgh in 1960.
Mitch: Don Hoak.
Phil and Ed: Don Hoak.
Mitch: Beat you.
Bonnie: See, that's exactly what I mean.
Phil: So, what do you and your friends talk about, out there?
Bonnie: Well, real life. Relationships. Are they working, are they not. Who she's seeing, is
that working.
Ed: No contest, we win.
Bonnie: Why?
Ed: Honey, if that were as interesting as baseball, they'd have cards for it and sell it with gum.
Ironically nowadays we do have a current almost uneasy interest with [celebrity] relationships brought to us happily, a little too happily by magazines such as Hello, OK and Grazia...

2 comments:

  1. I have never seen the movie, but that is an excellent quote and probably how all men feel about relationships. I don't chew gum so I would have probably said if it was that interesting it would be on a beer mat. Don't get me wrong, like most men I am interested in talking about relationships. Like most men, I really mean I am interested in bragging about the fact that a girl is prepared to give me a blow job without me being a member of an international rock group or a major movie star.

    Can anyone explain why the waiting room at the Doctors only ever has OK or hello magazine, clearly the myth about women going to the doctor less than men is just that as I would rather have my eyes stapled shut than read about Jordans latest love interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure how the celebrity culture has exploded as such, we seem to be obsessed with giving low talented individuals the ladder to the top and almost squeal with delight when that ladder is removed and they fall flat on their arse!

    With all the drama in other's lives it certainly makes one's own look safe and tame...

    Well unless you have an appointment to be whipped of course!

    ReplyDelete