Monday, 4 January 2010

12 Days of Christmas: Top films of the noughties (A - F)

My top films of the last decade.

Please note:
1. I'm sure I have left some important films off! Maybe I haven't seen them, maybe I didn't like them or maybe I have just forgotten them. It took a friend to remind me of '28 Days Later...'.
2. I am biased towards those films I saw at the cinema.
3. I am biased towards those films I saw at the cinema and then bought on DVD.
4. I am biased towards those films I saw at the cinema because of who I saw the film with
5. I am biased.
6. I've purposefully tried to add as few spoilers as possible.
7. After attempting to get them into some sort of order of preference, they are merely in alphabetical order. You try putting Wall-E up against City of God...


Almost Famous I almost can't believe I wasn't a teenager when this came out as the film tapped into the nostalgia for adolescence. I loved the soundtrack and immediately wanted to take the fifteen year old protagonist to my bosom and protect him from the world.
[
Trailer]

Amelie After seeing Amelie I dreamt of visiting photo developing dispensaries for long forgotten photos. It also lead to a perhaps unhealthy interest in photo booths (a story for another time).
[
Trailer]

An Education How we can believe in men that are bad for us.
[
Trailer]

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford I went to watch this while I was working, to have on in the background. After fifteen minutes, I have to put the work down and restart the DVD. Beautiful with very impressive cinematography.
[
Trailer]

Borat: Cultural Learnings Of America For Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan I was expecting to laugh, I laugh at most things vaguely humourous,sometimes just on the inside but still. What I was not expecting was my laughter to end in a stitch. I vowed not to see it again, just in case my memory holds it on a undeserving comedy pedestal. I am happy with the memories.
[
Trailer]

City Of God Throughout the whole film I wasn't aware of having to read subtitles, the film is AMAZING, beautiful, harsh and emotive. Even now when I think of the closing scene, the words (I may be paraphrasing) "...and that was the story of the City of God" still ring inside my head but in English.
[
Trailer]


Conversation(s) With Other Women The story of an albeit brief reunion of two exes, shot entirely through a split screen, one his, one hers. It enhanced my girl crush on Helena Bonham Carter.
[
Trailer]

Crash No, not that Crash !  I came late to the Crash party, I think it had already won the Academy Award and the press was filled with the Producers fighting over who actually got their name attached to the Oscar. With each viewing, I always seem to cry. I don't cry easily, especially not repeatedly.
[
Trailer]

The Departed
Mark Walberg - eat your heat out!
[
Trailer]

Donnie Darko Wow! Conspiracy theory central, although I wished it had stayed a mystery...
[
Trailer]

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind The best break-up film ever. Love can be crazy not to mention destructive and who wouldn't want to forget that?
[
Trailer]

Finding Nemo "If this is some kind of practical joke, it's not funny, and I know funny. I'm a clownfish."
[
Trailer]

Fish Tank Real, gritty and British. I wonder if that combination is trademarked?
[
Trailer]

Frost/Nixon I watched this yesterday (I was one film short for this list until I scrapped counting films, and rather than add this film anyway, I thought it best if I had actually seen it!). I had been meaning to for ages, I state categorically I will watch anything that Michael Sheen is in.  I just wish I had managed to see it as a play in the West End.

No comments:

Post a Comment